Potch
Potch asks:
Q:

School lunch room discipline

Hi, what can I do about a lunch aide who refused to let my 9 year old son eat lunch as a discipline.  He was disciplined for talking when he told another boy he wouldn't let him cut in line.
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Thanks for reaching out and contacting Education.com

Not allowing a student to each lunch as discipline is concerning and it does not sound like something the school condone. On the other hand, there could be more to the story which your son is not telling you. If for example, your son was throwing food, that could be a natural consequence for not allowing him to eat his lunch.  

You should let the school principal know what your son told you. The principal then can follow up with the lunch aide and hopefully talk with him/her about other ways to discipline during lunchtime so it does not happen again.

Our Hotline is available able for parents and kids of all ages, 24 hours, 7 days a week. Please call anytime with any parenting problem. We also have a website for parents and a website for tweens and teens. You can also e-mail us from those websites. They are both listed below. Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

Hi Potch,

Am I to understand that as punishment at your school, your child was denied a meal at lunch?  This is concerning!  Regardless of the reason rather he was deliberately misbehaving or if it was an understanding issue as the one you mentioned, denying a meal is not acceptable!!!

I would not let this go!!  Personally, I would have went to school with my child the very next day and addressed this head on, but since some time has now passed, I would still speak with the principal to see if this is punishment that he/she approves of and let it be known that it is unacceptable!

This is a tough situation, but action should be taken against the responsible person, although it will not benefit your child for the meal he missed, it may prevent such from happening in the future, possibly to your child again or another child.  No child should be denied their meal at school, it's unhealthy!  If you're involved with the PTA, I believe I would bring this issue up for the other parents to know about and receive their support also.  If you're not involved in the PTA, I would still allow other parents know what happened to your child.  I believe they would be concerned.

Best wishes!

2
0
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi Potch,

I would suggest going to the office as soon as you can to straighten out the matter. I know we all think our kids can do no wrong, but kids do sometimes exaggerate or bend the truth. I think it would be really important to talk to a school official who was not involved in the dispute and have them contact the lunch aide to get her side of the story, then judge for himself what probably went down.
However, don't let it go on much longer! This is DEFINITELY something that you or another guardian needs to investigate. If you can determine that this aide did, in fact, deny your child lunch, that is not at all OK! This may not have been the first time she has done this, and if so, something definitely needs to be done about her behavior.

2
0