scaredmom asks:

If a school is not making AYP, can parents choose a different school for their child?

The only high school in my district is in its third year of not making AYP.  I am familiar with some of the provisions of NCLB and wonder how to place my child into a high school in a nearby distirct which is making AYP.  Will my current district provide transportation?
In Topics: Choosing a school, National education standards and No Child Left Behind, State education standards
> 60 days ago



Feb 6, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

First, you are to be commended for being so 'up to speed' on the provisions of NCLB. Just the fact that you as a parent knows what AYP means is very impressive.

The transfer provisions you mention when a schools in not making AYP refer to transfers within district, and you mention your high school is the only high school in the district.

Given this, I recommend you pick up the phone and make an appointment with the Superintendent of Schools or the central office person in charge of NCLB and make an appointment to share your concern and desire for transfer. I do not know if anything can be done about a transfer but there may be other options for your child that could result from this appointment.

Good luck!

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely