Q:

Did school make a mistake putting our daughter in ELL program?

"My daughter was placed in an ELL program, for non-English speakers (she looks Hispanic like me but her father is from here) because she wouldn't care to talk to total strangers to her and when she was asked questions she wouldn't answer even though she knew the answers. So well they thought she didn't speak English so they placed her on this program. By the end of the year they have to pull her off because she obviously will score too high for the program. So I guess somebody made a mistake????"

Asked by Sara after reading the article, "Tests? In the First Weeks of Kindergarten?!":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Kinde...
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
Yes, it sounds to me like somebody made a mistake.  The school should have talked to you first before placing her into the program.  You could have easily told them that she speaks English.  Now it sounds like she lost a year of learning at the appropriate level.  Next time you should speak up sooner rather than wait for them to figure it out.

1
0
kevin_edu
kevin_edu writes:
Since your daughter is not a non-English speaker the school definitely made a mistake. You should talk to her teacher and/or principal about correcting this. Don't wait for the end of the year to resolve this; your daughter could be enrolled in other classes that would benefit her instead of an ELL class that is not appropriate.

1
0