kamm
kamm asks:
Q:

Can our school make me move my kids in the middle of the school year?

I am trying to find out about the rules or laws for children having to change schools in the middle of the year when they move to another district. My children school wants me to transfer them and I think that is crazy for me to move them in the middle of the school year. So
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Kammeo,

Unfortunately, I think most districts require that you live within the school's boundaries in order to go to school there.   (So, if you move out of the boundaries your kids would have to switch schools).  Maybe other parents here have helped their kids through a mid-school year switch and could help you with ideas of how to make it easier for them.  Would you tell us what grades your kids are in?

0
0
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
As a former teacher many people move throughout the school year. If you move districts  you will have to enroll the child in a new district and school. Some schools and districts make exceptions, so I would contact the school your children go to directly. My suggestion would be to just ask, you never know what will happen.

0
0
MissTeach
MissTeach writes:
It depends where you are.  There are "inter-district transfers" and other potential ways around having to move your students. If your state has this it would need to be in writing and be approved by districts- this will only work if there is space in the school- if they have a waiting list then you'll likely be asked to move on.  If the school isnt' working with you- I'm sure they have a reason.  No Child Left Behind rules- may offer support.  

If you moved further away from the school- it's not a bad idea to let your students "get their feet wet" and maybe make some new friends before summer and so next year isn't so hard.

0
0