Anonymous
Q:

How do I get the school to provide services for math testing and help?

My son is failing 3rd grade math. We had an assessment done by Sylvan (the school district does not do math assessments) and he is about a full grade level behind in most skills, yet he scored high on his benchmark tests last year (teacher taught to the test, not skills). The school said he scored "average" on the Aimes test, so he doesn't qualify for any supportive help. As a parent, do I have any rights to demand further testing so he can get some help. Is there some kind of law that offers him some protection. Right now the schools attitude is "sorry". It's as if statistically someone has to fail and sorry it has to be him. He will not pass his standardized test and therefore, be eligible for retention, if he does not get help outside of his classroom. Outside tutoring runs between $350 to $400 and it is something we cannot afford to do. We have had 3 conferences with his teacher and she has no idea what to do with him. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
In Topics: Working with tutors, Helping my child with math, Special needs

|

KidAngel

Unless the student is classified as "below proficient" on his Aimes test the district has no legal obligation to create extra tutoring support. Sylvan testing is done to bring student up to and above grade level. I would say your son is truly testing somewhere between what Sylvans logic is and what he scored on his Aimes test.
I would suggust calling your local high schools and see if they have any Junior or Seniors that do after school tutoring. Many High School offers this service. If that doesn't no provide you with any support then contact your local community college to see if they have students that tutor. Most do! I hope this information is helpful.
Kid Angel Foundation
Barbara Antinoro
Educational Consultant

1
0

SPEDHighSchoolTeacher
SPEDHighSch... , Student, Teacher, Parent writes:
You can make a request in writing that you would like him tested for a learning disability. This test is free through your local public school. To qualify for special education services, he must be at least 2 grade levels behind, which can be difficult due to his 3rd grade status. This would give you a base line and give data as to which are the areas of need. If he is struggling with homework assignments, ask the teacher if he can show her the homework before school. Also, the teacher should be able to assist them after school as well. Most contracted teachers are in the classroom 30 minutes before and after school for students and parents.You might want to ask the school to write a grant to cover expenses for an after-school or evening tutorial. You can also ask your child's school to contact a local college that has a teacher credential program in which novice teachers can practice evidence based curriculum and assistance to struggling students in exchange for experience. In the meantime, you might want to try Singapore Math at home. It is inexpensive, easy to use, and available to purchase from on-line.

5
0
lippshaw
lippshaw writes:
I can't thank you enough for responding with a spectrum of great ideas and concrete ways to get my son some help.  I will start making my requests right away!

0
0
Anonymous