footballmom
footballmom asks:
Q:

What do you do about a school that refuses to work with parents and a child who won't do anything because he is extremely lazy?

My son is 13 years old and unless I am sitting right there watching him do the homework and going to school with him to turn it in, he will not do any work and will not turn in what I made him do the night before. He is like this in every aspect of his life. Now the school system is just as bad. I stated that I want my child tested for EBD and that something needs to get done about these issues before it is too late. They put it off for a month or two before they started the process. After that, I had to continuously call out there to get any kind of results. They kept saying,"Yes we tested him and we have the results, but someone else will give you a call." I would never hear back. And when I finally discussed holding him back in the 7th grade since he didn't do any work and failed almost everything they told me no. They said there was no option for summer school either, but when I spoke with the principle again he mentioned summer school even though he was the one that had originally told me no. I emailed every day to get the process going on signing him up for summer school or having a meeting on retaining him in 7th grade. They ignored me the last 2 weeks of school and wouldn't respond until it was too late to do something. I am so ready to get the state involved since I know we aren't the first parents to go through this at this school. My child thinks it is the greatest thing because he gets to move on and knows that he doesn't have to do anything but show up to school.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, My Relationship with my child's school, National education standards and No Child Left Behind

|

greenprof2

Sad case. I too have a 13 year old boy, but he is responsible in doing his school work. You are to be commended for your interest and you are wise to realize your son's attitude and behavior will not reward him in the long run. Education is a ticket without which life will be much harder for him. It sounds like to me that the boy needs some professional counseling, perhaps more than your public school can provide. There isn't anything in your post that suggests that you are a member of a faith community, but often this kind of attitudinal problem has roots of a spiritual nature, so I'd also suggest you talk with your minister or rabbi about help from that direction.

Best wishes with this. I hope your son doesn't have to learn the hard way but that is the path he is now on.  Michael Bentley, Expert Panel Member
0
0

MimiR
MimiR writes:
I'd homeschool him.  He's old enough to legally stay home alone--enroll him in K-12 and tell him, "Welcome to your world!  You can go back to public school when you catch up to your class--after repeating the grade you just failed."  And make it stick.  He doesn't do his work?  Fine.  He loses all privileges.  If that means you have to load his game systems into your trunk and take them to work and remove all the phones from the house, too, so be it.  And no food in the evening until he's done the day's work.

Heck, you your boss lets you, he could sit in the corner of your office and work all day on a laptop.  Wouldn't that be a treat for him?  And if he's bad during the week, bye-bye weekend!

0
0
Anonymous