upwife
upwife asks:
Q:

what can I do to make the school stop the bullying?

The school won't do anything to stop the bullying

|

You're not alone in wanting bullying to stop in your child's school. Bullying has become a widespread problem in schools across America.   The first step to alleviating bullying is to talk to the school counselor and principal about the issue. It is the teachers and administration of a school that set the tone for students, so it's up to them to make other students realize that bullying will not be tolerated.

If you feel like your concerns are not being addressed or taken seriously by the counselor and/or principal, take your concerns higher up in the school district by talking to the school board, or superintendent for your school or district. Make sure that you are documenting specific incidences of bullying on paper. When you meet with the school about your concerns bring written documentation of those incidences and the initial response from the counselor and principal.

Stay with the issue until you feel like some action has been taken. Chances are, your child is not the only one experiencing bullying. Sometimes it takes just one person to lead the path of bringing bullying to the forefront of the minds of school administration. Don't be afraid to take the lead and get help for those kids that are not being treated respectfully at school.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

Sorry to hear about your situation -- every school needs to take bullying seriously and respond to related concerns from students and parents.

Here's an article from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that outlines how parents can most effectively work with their child's school to address this issue:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/talk-educators-about-bullying/

Consider sharing this article with your child's teacher and the school principal, along with any specific information you have about the bullying your child may be experiencing.

If you haven't already, I would also recommend that you visit Education.com's Special Edition on Bullying here:
http://www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/

There was also a recent free webinar on this topic, with bullying expert Shelley Hymel PhD, that you can access here:
http://www.education.com/special-edition/bullying/web-seminar-archive/

I hope these resources above, along with support from your child's teacher and principal, help you in putting an end to any bullying your child may be experiencing at school.

3
0
EDUCATIONISIMPORTANT
EDUCATIONIS... writes:
Really you can't do anything but you can find a lawyer and fix it with court hope I help!

0
0
JessiD0424
JessiD0424 writes:
My daughter who is 16 was being bullied at her school. It started a couple weeks after she started and I right away went to the teacher, principal and the counselor about it. I met with the principal several times. It got to a point my daughter was ready to take her life. She was in a behavioral hospital for a week due to the school demanding I take her for an evaluation or they call child protective services against me. I asked to go before the school board and the superintendent refused to put me on the agenda. The only things they were willing to do about the bullying further isolated my daughter. Like escorting her to and from classes and making her eat in the principals office or to send her to the alternative school where they send the kids that misbehave. I ended up having to remove her from the school and sent her to my mothers through the week the next town over to attend school. It is killing me to have my family split like this but it is the safest for my daughter at this point. Don't give up whatever you do. Bullying really tears a kid down fast. The school is legally responsible for keeping our children safe while they are at school and being bullied is not safe. I wish you the best of luck.

0
0
Haltnow
Haltnow writes:
The school system is a group of individuals that are doing a job to help our children.  However, most of them are not trained to deal with the on-going bully issue.  Their training unfortunately did not teach them a strong solution, therefore it is up to us as parents to help train them.

I recommend that you check out www.haltnow.ca for some answers to your question.  As well as: http://www.haltnow.ca/bullying/40-schoolyard-childhood/91-what-can-be-done-to-stop-bullying-schools-responsibility-.html

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Bullying will not be conquered by setting bigger traps...but by changing the hearts and minds of the kids who bully.
We are putting all the responsibility for this problem on the victim and while we must act to protect the innocent, we must shift our thinking to prevention and have those who bully... be responsible for the change that will make our society a caring and compassionate culture. Change must come from the INSIGHT out.
The fact is only about 4 percent of teachers are taking action and only about 24 percent even see it as a problem. THAT is a problem which is why I am wanting to do more training programs for teachers.
I provide interactive prevention programs for angry kids who bully, protection for kids who are bullied, and answers for parents and teachers seeking guidance to a serious problem that is responsible for many child and teen suicides.  My coachingand teacher training programs transform people from fear to empowerment and from anger to enlightenment.

Please visit www.stopbullyingwithedie.com
Good Synergy to make things happen!
Edie

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
You could try to seek the help of non-government organizations in stopping this in your school. There are many of those who took up online phd in education and they should be the very ones to address this issue.

0
0