Q:

Which Back to School supplies are needed for my sixth grader?

"i am having the hardest time finding out the school supplies needed for my 6th grader for back to school,folders,colors,pen ink colors,or even special or specific items needed for the return to school.any help you can provide i would greatly appreciate.thank you"

Above question asked by Mary, after reading the article, "Ready for Middle School?":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Middl...
In Topics: Back to school

|

dmillerteach
dmillerteach , Child Professional, School Administrator, Teacher writes:
Dear Mary,

Having worked in a lot of middle schools, I would recommend contacting the school directly to get this information, or unfortunately, holding out until the first week of school. I have found that middle school teachers are more particular than elementary school staff about the types of supplies their students need. Some may want 1.5" binders, some notebooks, some will provide their own. It is hard to judge and it is frustrating for both the teachers and the staff to have students with supplies that don't fit the coursework. For now, look for the basics- pens, pencils, some college ruled looseleaf paper, an eraser, backpack, pencil sharpener (unless you opt for mechanical pencils so popular with the junior high crowd), and hold off on the rest. If you would like to contact the school ahead of time, you can use the SchoolFinder application on Education.com to find the school's phone number and ask the principal if he/she has an idea of the supply lists for the sixth grade.

I would also suggest if your child isn't already doing so that the best way to prepare him/her is to read daily. Students who stop reading over the summer can drop as much as a grade level in reading and are not prepared for the study habits that lie ahead. The transition to middle school can be a shock for students as they have the need to do more independent study. Making sure your child's study habits are in place in the 6th grade is the best way to ensure academic success in the rest of middle school and will prepare them for high school.

Any more questions? Feel free to contact me :) And good luck at this exciting time in your child's life!

1
0