Bobby707
Bobby707 asks:
Q:

Why do school test ask about ethnicity?

In Topics: School and Academics, College admissions tests

|

This is an excellent question.  I know of a couple reasons, but I'm sure there are others.

Often on standardized tests there are pilot questions.  These are questions that test companies are trying out to see how "good" of a question it is.  They do not count towards or against the score the child earns.  The companies look to see how different age groups do answering the question based on ethnicity and sex.  They want to make sure the test question is not bias.  They will also try to make sure that no matter where the student is geographically or his family is financially makes a difference when answering the question.  They want the question to be as fair as possible.

Another reason is that schools use this data to help them determine where there might be gaps in their curriculum.  For example, I work in a very large district and data can change from one school to another.  School administrations will look to see if a particular ethnic group is struggling with an idea or concept.

Hope that helps.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0