Marebear
Marebear , Student asks:
Q:

Do you think school uniforms should be mandatory in public schools?

Kids are always being bullied about what they wear to school. Would having school uniforms improve the problems? I would like to hear other people's reactions and thoughts toward school uniforms in public schools.
In Topics: Public School, School safety (not bullying)

|

AnnieFox

Some bullying stems from who is wearing the coolest designer clothes and who isn't, unfortunately that isn't the only reason kids harass each other. If it were, then school uniforms would be the solution. At schools where there is a mandatory school uniform, you will also find all the rest of the "social garbage" that we call peer abuse.

1
1

ELON
ELON writes:
YES

1
1
This is a great question Marebear.  My kids have previously attended private schools (with uniforms) and public schools with uniforms.  They currently attend a public schools without uniforms.  

I have to admit that I really like having uniforms.  From a parent's perspective, it makes life really easy!  Many retailers (gap, old navy, gymboree & even Target) have uniform lines now that are comfortable & inexpensive.  You just have to buy 5 pairs of pants and five tops and you're done!

I also think uniforms are easier for the kids.  My kids are young and they're boys, so being "cool" or "in fashion" isn't an issue for them.  But I know for girls and for older kids, it's a huge distraction that costs them and their parents a lot of money, time, and energy.  Having uniforms levels the playing field a little for kids who can't - or choose not to - buy expensive clothes.

Some people say uniforms take away kids ability to be creative and express themselves but I think there are lots of other ways to be expressive without investing in $50 tee shirts or $100 jeans!

That's my opinion...I can't wait to see everyone else's!

1
2
momosan1
momosan1 writes:
Will it help the problem yes. Will it completely eliminate it, absolutely not. Kids harass other kids for more reasons than just clothing. I personally would not mind a public school with a uniform dress code.

0
2
MissCook
MissCook writes:
Well, school uniforms may help but I feel like if kids aren't being bullied because of what they wear they'll be bullied because of something else. It's a bit of a catch 22. I wish I could solve this bullying problem but I'm only one person. Awareness is key I believe so if we keep talking about it and teach kids how to respect each other then hopefully we can decrease bullying.

1
1
JennyParadise
JennyParadise writes:
As a former uniform-sporting student at a public high school, I would have to say yes. Before my school instituted uniforms, there were a lot of issues with gang violence associated with what people wore, and mugging expensive items from wealthier kids.

All in all, I think that uniforms really put kids on a level playing field. If everyone is wearing white collared tops and blue slacks, it's a lot harder to tell who paid $5 for their shirt, and who paid $75. Coming from an urban area with a lot of wealth discrepancy, I appreciated that the school staff took steps to try to make all students feel equal.

As said before, there will always be the popular kids and the outcasts -- but taking clothes out of the equation means one less thing for kids to feel like outsiders about. Plus, it made shopping for school clothes and getting ready in the morning that much easier!

I had no trouble expressing myself in other ways at school, and with fashion on the weekends.

0
2
moniabegum
moniabegum writes:
No because sometimes school bullies pick on the children wearing uniforms. Some uniforms are very big and do not fit. By the way school uniforms suck!!

0
1
KenyaB08
KenyaB08 writes:
My son goes to a public school where they wear uniforms in my opinion it doesn't make a difference b/c kids are just gonna be kids and pick and laugh anyway. Some Kids are just plain mean. Kids should wear what they want we just have to teach our kids to love themselves and be confident and don't worry about what others think of you. Tell them they're  beautiful everyday

0
1
Susan_N28
Susan_N28 writes:
No.  Absolutely not.  In fact, it is unconstitutional, for clothes are considered a form of personal expression, of speech, and government, which public education is an arm of, cannot suppress it.  There is a ton of case law regarding dress codes.  School districts can impose them as long as they do not infringe on students' right to self-expression.  They can provide guidelines that ban clothing that violate safety, hygiene, and distraction concerns, but imposing everybody have a one-size-fit-all uniform dress code?  No way.  I suspect the courts will be throwing these schemes out.  There is NO evidence at ALL mandatory uniforms help in school performance; administrators like them for the simple reason they are convenient and they don't have to spend time disciplining students who violate the dress codes.

1
1
Anonymous