Anonymous
Q:

What to do with all these science fair projects from over the years?

I have three children in various grades, and a collection of their old science fair projects taking up too much space inside my house. What should I do with them?

I know that my kids' feelings will be hurt if I throw them away, but I also need to de-clutter the home. When I posted this question on Facebook, a couple of my friends suggested that I sneak the projects into the garbage, but my kids are too smart for that (they'll figure it out eventually and be even more mad).

Any other suggestions? What do other parents do with old science fair projects?
In Topics: Science fair, Parenting / Our Family

|

Best Answer!

In our house, they start out in the living room, then move to the kids' rooms, then to the garage if destined for the trash or to the attic if going into the "memory box."  Sometimes we stage things into the garage if we need to clear out clutter for a party.  Once something is in the garage, the next step is the trash can.  So throwing a party has secondary benefits.

Ideally, you would do something that would result in your kids making the decision for themselves to ditch the old projects.  Just what form that would take for you and your kids, I can't say.  Second best would be to have a frank conversation about how the clutter makes you feel (unhappy) and then jointly make a plan for getting rid of the projects, with a schedule like, "we will keep them until summer vacation starts."

You might even try bargaining, like, "if we clear out the old projects, we can get a new puppy."  Or something like that; maybe not a puppy.

Along the way, take lots of pictures of them (you probably alreay have) and put prints into the memory boxes.

But, ultimately, Mom and Dad need to make the household policy concerning keeping old projects, and enforce it objectively.

1
0
Anonymous