Q:

We need help with the science project, "The Fantastic Vitamin C".

"This is  a very nice science project. My daughter got interested. Although, I am getting confused in helping her because when we did the experiment, everything was fine until we got to the part where the solution has to be poured in a test tube with distilled water. The test tube never turn light blue. Is this mean there is or not vitamin in the solution? Can you please help?"

Asked by Vicki in commenting on the science fair project, "The Fantastic Vitamin C": http://www.education.com/science-fair/article/b...
In Topics: Science fair, Helping my child with science

|

chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
The starch an indicator) only changes to blue when iodine is also in the solution. When you add vitamin C to the blue solution, the ascorbic acid reacts with the starch and changes the color back to colorless (or possibly a pale yellow due to the extra iodine). The starch/iodine solution should be blue before adding it to the vitamin C solution. If it is not, it needs to be made again. Once you have the blue solution, it will only go colorless when Vitamin C is present. If it stayed blue, there is no Vitamin C.

0
0