jjjk
jjjk asks:
Q:

I am seeking advice / reference information about how to motivate a 4th grade boy to consistently behave appropriately in school?

My son is in 4th grade (age 9) and does well in his academics but is very inconsistent with his behavior and motivation.  He can do great one day and then misbehave the next - speaking out in class, making noises.  At times he gets into a funk and then it can take time to get back on track.   He knows it's inappropriate and disrespectful but still acts out.  We've talked again and again - but I don't feel a real change is happening.  He has improved - but not enough.  I often blame it on immaturity - but I know he knows better.  Any thoughts or advice?  Tools to help keep him on track?  
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

salfam
salfam writes:
As a parent, I would first feel inclined to monitor his sleeping and eating patterns. Not enough sleep or too much of the wrong food might be triggering the spontaneity of his behavior.

Besides these, what inspires him? Does he respond to rewards? Could he earn a privilege for consistent positive behavior? Is it attention that he's seeking? Would losing a privilege hit home for him? I think as his parent, you have the best information and you're doing a great job noticing and trying to help him succeed.  Good luck!

0
0