DebraSteiner
DebraSteiner asks:
Q:

Should I send my child to Kindergarten or hold her back a year? She will turn 5 the end of August and she was a 6 week premie. She is doing very well.

Her teacher tells me to send her. She is doing very well in school, she just got her report card from preschool and she is on target with everything. My concerns are the new rigorous common core standards. I know she will do well in K if I send her. I worry about the later grades, peer pressure as she will be the youngest and thinking an extra year would be good if she is unsure what she wants to do for college. I know she will be fine now, it's in the later grades I worry about. She is about 5 inches shorter than other kids her age, already getting teased about it but she can hold her own. I just want to give her the gift too of an extra year since K is just half day. Am I being selfish or do I have valid points?

Thanks,
Deb
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
sdozier21
sdozier21 writes:
you should send her early that way she can get a head start in her education........ i have got a head start and i am doing well

0
0
JillBusenlehner
JillBusenle... writes:
I would not send her. My mother sent me to first grade when I was 5 years old (back in the 70s) - therefore, I was 17 when I graduated high school. Then I went off to college at 17 and had no business going. My maturity level was not there!!! A big mistake!!
Regardless if she is doing well or not. Let her be the oldest! She will have the advantage.
This is just my opinion. Both my girls are the oldest in there class and if they were not, I would hold them back.

1
0
EJcobs
EJcobs writes:
I think you should definitely send her. I began kindergarten at four and was the smallest in my class until middle school. They wanted to skip me from second grade to fourth which my mother didn't allow. She didn't want me to graduate at 16. Big mistake. I became extremely bored with school because it was too easy. As parents we worry about what's good and bad for our children so no its not selfish. That's what caring parents do. But don't worry yourself about teasing. It's just something kids do. It doesn't matter if she is the biggest or smallest there will always be someone to find something. I say continue to teach her to handle herself.

2
0
chantrea.magno
chantrea.ma... writes:
You have very valid points.  My husband and I looked into that too, because we're thinking about putting our son in Private school Kindergarten this fall.  He did his assessment already, but we don't know yet if he got accepted.  We noticed the other kids who were there were 5 & 6 year olds.  To our surprise, we found out that some parents are holding their child back by a year (called red-shirting).  They say studies found children will do better if their held back by a year because of their maturity level, so that they will do better academically and physically.  I don't know how true that is, but it does make sense too.  My son turns 5 this May, but I still want to put him in because I think he'll do fine.  
It's ultimately up to you.  It should be okay if you feel like your daughter should wait a year.

1
0