TrishM
TrishM asks:
Q:

Where should i send my son to preschool, private or public?  

I have a soon to be 5 yr old about to start preschool, he is EXTREMELY shy n it took 1.5 yrs for him to begin to participate and interact w/kids in his class.  Now that he offically is about to start preschool, my very small town has a preschool program (total in the entire grade, approx 34) or i can keep him where he is one more year and not switch till kindergarten.  I just think he'll spend half the year standing in the corner n if i give him 1 more yr of social devl where's he's comfortable, it will be better for him, the bad side of this, all the kids will be making friends this year and he will have to break into established relationships in kindergarten - help!
In Topics: Choosing a school

|

dmillerteach
dmillerteach , Child Professional, School Administrator, Teacher writes:
Dear TrishM,

It is great that you are thinking so carefully about your son's school choice. As a guidance counselor, I often advise parents to think about some of the following concerns as they make school choices:

Don't think about schools under labels of "private" "public" "charter" Catholic"- research the individual school. Clearly it seems your son may need a lot of individual attention and a smaller class size to thrive- he can get this in a variety of settings! Check the possibilities out. Talk to the teachers, administrators, and take a tour of the school, getting a sense of the school's culture and mission. Ask if you can observe a class and watch how the teachers engage shy students. Some schools may even let your son sit in on a class.

I have attached a resource guide from education.com with a wealth of information about the benefits and disadvantages of private and public schools and how to go about applying. Only you can gauge your financial status and what will be the right fit for your son. Best of luck!

0
0