tinamae
tinamae asks:
Q:

Do sensitive children have difficulty with tasks such as potty training?

My daughter is nearly four years old and we've struggled with potty training her. She is an overly sensitive child who has difficulty when we brush her hair, brush her teeth, cut her nails....anything like that.  She gets extremely excited about things and when she's happy she shakes her arms vigorously.  She also cries very easily when things don't go her way and even argues that "It's not OK!", when we try to console her.  She is very intelligent and encourages her two year old cousin with potty training, she will just not grasp the idea for herself.  We've encouraged and rewarded. She just wont let it happen.  How do we help her to accomplish this task?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Raisi...
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Potty Training

|

Talk to your pediatrician. If she has not had a recent physical and developmental exam, schedule one.  These behaviors need evaluation. It is not your parenting.  Neurosensory development is a difficult task to assess and may require or a team assessment.  Start with your pediatrician.

0
0

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Tinamae....

Many child development milestones cannot be hurried and potty training is certainly one of them. Potty training is actually quite a phenomena milestone because there are so many different stories of how a child is trained or not trained.  And many training appears miraculously overnight.  I will share a few stories here. I remember with my son - because of language delay - he doesn't know how to tell us that he needs to go to the bathroom.  But if I remember to take him on the clock (every 2 hours) then it's okay.  Then one day, he magically uttered "I need to go pee pee" and the potty training is over!

My best friend's daughter was so mature that by the time she could walk, she could pretty much tell you that she needs to go the bathroom or even walk to the potty when she needs to go.  But she would not go to poo poo in the potty.  The "poo poo" thing must be done in a diaper.  I remember when she started preschool, she still wanted to poo in her diaper.  It was probably when she started kindergarten that she was fully trained.

I also have another friend who's daughter was potty trained pretty well by the age of 3 - for the daytime.  The daughter is 7 right now and still needs to wear a pull up to go to sleep at night.  This might be a bedwetting issue but that is what the daughter is comfortable with.

I would like to make a comment about your sensitive problem.  From I read and know, sensitive children are actually more easily potty trained because they don't like the feeling of wetness or other things touching their skin.  So they will make an extra effort to let others know when they need to go.

Potty training is a child milestone.  Like any other milestone, time will unfold everything.  Have some more patience.  You daughter will be trained soon.  Good luck!

Vicki

2
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I am so glad that you are concerned about your daughter.  The patterns of behaviour such as difficulty brushing her hair, teeth, clipping nails may be signaling that your daughter becomes overwhelmed by tactile (touch) sensations.  In addition to contacting your pediatrician you might want to have her evaluated by an occupational therapist who could help you with better understanding her behavior if its sensory based.  Several good books to help you decide if it is sensory based are Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller, The Out of sync child by Kranowitz or Parenging A Sensory Smart chld by Biel.

0
0