vicki70
vicki70 asks:
Q:

Sensory Processing or ADHD?

My 4 year was diagnosed with SPD last year, he is hyposensitve to the senses and has O.T. twice a week.  Just recently the school pyschologist did testing and said he has ADHD.  Where do I go from here, I have read that children are often misdiagnosed with ADHD when it is really SPD.  I don't know what to believe or where to go for further testing.
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

Start with your pediatrician and ask what she think since she knows your child and family. Second, I would get an evaluation from a pediatric developmental specialist through your medical home.  these two moves are more likely to produce results and put you on the correct path.  Remember that ADD and SPD are different but many children have concurrent conditions.

Good luck with your 4 year old.

1
0

lynellen
lynellen writes:
In the book Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller, Ph.D., OTR, the author specifically addresses the difference between SPD and ADHD.  The book contains a convenient table that looks at the similarities and differences between the two diagnosis.  She also discusses the "overlays" of the two which is often seen as well. You might ask your OT if she/he has a copy or find a copy at the library.

1
0