phredgo8
phredgo8 asks:
Q:

Separation anxiety: anything we can do to minimize this behavior when kindergarten starts?

My 5 yr old will be starting Kindergarten in a week.  She has been in pre-school 3 days a week for two years.  All through that time she on occasion will break down and scream and cry when my wife drops her off.  The rest of the time is fine, no problems.  She just went to a camp at her old pre-school and screamed and cried for 1 hour and also ran out of the building into the parking lot, the teachers were in right behind her.  Anything we can do to minimize this behavior when kindergarten starts?  The running out into a parking lot worries me for her safety.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Parenting / Our Family, Anxiety

|
jritchie
jritchie writes:

Thank you for question. I know this can be a very troubling issue. Below is a link to an article with information strategies for helping a child with separation anxiety which I hope is a good resource for you in addressing your issue. Best of luck to you.

0
0
socialworker
socialworker writes:
Try reading "Harry the Happy Caterpillar Grows: Helping Children Adjust to Change" with your child.The story centers on Harry,a caterpillar that has a fantastic life full of games, friends, school and leaf eating. He is stunned when, one day at caterpillar school, he learns that he is expected to  build a chrysalis and become a butterfly. Harry vows to remain a caterpillar forever, as his friends build their chrysalises and move on.  Eventually, Harry  learns to accept change as a necessary part of life, and  joins his friends as a butterfly. There are tips in the back of the book to help parents and educators use the story as a vehicle to help kids talk about their feelings about change, and teach them coping strategies to manage their anxiety.

0
0
Anonymous