mellokitty29
mellokitty29 asks:
Q:

How do I set up guardianship & Social Security Disability for my son?

My son will be 18 in13days! I have to set up guardianship so I can care for him because he can not make logical decisions on his own. I also have to set up Soc Sec Disability for him in case anything ever happens to me. I am not a lawyer and do not know what to do... Please help me find the answers!
In Topics: Teen issues, Getting ready for college, Special needs

|

Allyn Anderson

Creating a guardianship for your 18 year old son requires legal support. If you are unsure what lawyer to call, contact your local lawyer referral; they’ll be happy to guide you. Also, make an appointment with your local Social Security office. Both will need copies of your son’s school papers, especially the school’s educations and psychological reports and assessments. When you call to make appointments, don’t hesitate to ask them what additional information they will need you to bring, such as birth certificate, Social Securing card, or school id.

I've provided a link below to help answer some questions you might have regarding Social Security benefits.
0
0

lovemykids2
lovemykids2 writes:
Not always is it necessary to get a lawyer to obtain a guardianship.  It is defininately easier because they do the work. However, it can also be expensive depending on the hourly rate charged by the attorney.  There is a website www.californiacourts.com and they have all the forms you would need to set up a guardianship.  The courts also have self help centers.  You can also purchase the Nolo Press Setting up Guardianships.

0
0
graceannsassone
graceannsas... writes:
I do not know where you are located but in the area I live there are several Parent Navigator groups that deal with issues with their special needs children. I am sure that something like this could assist you in your need.
Also, check with your child's special ed teacher and the Voc. Rehab counselor to help you.

0
0
Anonymous