Patrick08
Patrick08 asks:
Q:

What is Sexting? Can a child be arrested for sexting?

I'm hearing the term sexting more and more.  What exactly is sexting?  Is sexting legally considered child pornography if the parties are all under 18? Can a child really be held criminally responsible and arrested for sexting?
In Topics: Children and cell phones, Teen issues, Teen sexuality and dating

|
MissTeach

Best Answer!

I agree with other answers.  Yes and Yes.  We had an issue in our district with this.  Teachers were told that police can access phone to see if the message was opened, how long it was open and when was deleted. We were told if it happened- immediately delete, return a text saying Please don't ever send me these messages again [or something to that affect] and report it -- in that order.  It IS considered serious [no matter the age] and is being taken very seriously by police.  I agree with others- get a phone without camera and block picture texts...better safe than really sorry!

3
1

SextingIsStupid
SextingIsSt... , Child Professional, Parent writes:
Hi Patrick,

According to The Institute for Responsible Online and Cell Phone Communication, an industry pioneer in proactive online safety, Sexting is defined as "The act of poor judgment when using digital technology (i.e. a cell phone) by sending an image, video or text message of an explicit (adult) or risqué nature to another individual."

While local, state and federal officials try to deal with this phenomenon, there are in fact cases of adults and kids being charged with child pornography (related) charges in the event they send or possess an image with individuals under the age of 18.

Finally, yes a child can be arrested and criminally charged for sexting.  In fact, there is one very well documented case of an Florida based 18 year old who is now a registered sex offendeer until he is 43 as a result of sending 70 of his friends a nude picture of his girlfriend out of anger when they broke up.

I would encourage you to learn more about this as soon as possible as “sexting” is just one of many “digital diseases” that our society will contend with as the rapid evolution of technology advances without a concurrent understanding or communication of how to responsibly utilize these new gadgets and devices.

In addition to reviewing my profile here on education.com, I am going to provide you with a couple other resources and a PSA you would be wise to review…especially the one RE: SextCasting as this is a much larger, and more dangerous trend than sexting alone.

Warmest Regards,
Richard Guerry
Executive Director & President
The Institute for Responsible Online and Cell-Phone Communication (I.R.O.C.2)

4
1
nailahtalibah
nailahtalibah writes:
Sexting is where a person takes provocative or nude pictures of them selves and sends them to their peers. If the person is under 18 it is considered child pornography in some states and the parent can be held accountable for the child's action. my suggestion is to get your child a phone without a camera on it, or confiscate their phone completely, if they can't be responsible they should lose the privilege.
A cell phone is a privilege not a right.

0
0
To my understanding it is when a child/teenager uses a cell phone to transport messages in code and also inappropriate pictures. Yes, just another way to shock a parent or get some kind of attention. I don't have a teenager but one thing you can do is block texting on the phone. You should be able to call your provider and have this done. Also, I am not sure about arresting but you could possibly have a law enforcement officer speak on the issue at the school if you are a pro-active parent. Personally, I would snatch the cell phone and bury it for a month or two...

1
0
Yes, unfortunately. Kids can even be charged with child pornography when sending lewd photos of themselves to others, so make sure kids are aware of the risks and responsibilities that come with owning a cell phone and sending pictures to others.

0
0
KatieBoo
KatieBoo writes:
YES!!!!!!!!!

0
0
Sivasubramanyam1016
Sivasubrama... writes:
All parents must not allow their children to use cell phones and net. It is strictly followed in India. Even the TV is kept aside from children by parents. Cells are very abusive, it is not meant for students and underage people. It is an offense if caught red handed. The disadvantages of modern devices are very fatal, lethal to character.

1
0
Anonymous