lishakhanna
lishakhanna asks:
Q:

A Very Shy Child!!! Please Help!!!!

Hello I am new here I have 2 children a 6 year old son and a 2 and a half year old daughter! My question is about my daughter, she seems to not be making friends, she is a very shy child and 9 times out of 10 you have to come to her she will not go to you! But it is really bothering me because I want her out there making friends and instead she comes home after playing in our colony garden and tells me how no one plays with her and all she does is swing by herself. I am trying to think of ways to make her kind of stand out because she is so shy and withdrawn. If anyone has any suggestions please I need all the help I can get..
Thank you God Bless
In Topics: Preschool, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Dr.Susan

Hi There,
It's not at all unusual for children to be shy when they are young (especially if they have an older sibling). There are many reasons for it, but the most common is that she probably doesn't yet have quite enough self-confidence to approach the group and try to fit in. There are two great ways to help her.

1. Invite just one child over to play with her and allow her to learn the skills of friendship without having to negotiate a playground full of children. As she gains friends one at a time, she will have more confidence in larger groups.

2. Role play with her. When she tells you she's upset that no-one played with her, YOU pretend to be another child and help her practice the give and take of talking to and playing with other kids. You can give her tips and then encourage her to practice them with you or even her brother (if he's willing!)

I'm sure that you'll find that before long she is starting to flourish socially. However, if her shyness continues even after you have been working with her for a few months, you might want to speak to your pediatrician about it.
Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
BOOK: “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

1
0

vibhuti_iyer
vibhuti_iyer writes:
Hello Lisha,
This is something you definitely want to deal with, but I wouldn't be too concerned at this time. Your daughter has plenty of time to develop her social skills. In fact, in my opinion you should enroll her to good preschool. so that her teacher also can help her with this. Teachers usually can deal with such issues comfortably. Besides she can interact with other kids of her age. My son has been going to EuroKids International for the 3 months, I have had an amazing experience with them. You can also see if you have a EuroKids franchisee in your locality.
Good luck dear!

0
0
canpanita
canpanita writes:
youcan set upa play date for her a long with other children.

0
0
Yash.Malvania
Yash.Malvania writes:
maam it not a big issue.Children are usually shy when they are young.if you think its abnormal then you can take them to a doctor.but i feel you shoulf give them some time it will all turn out well.

0
0
Anonymous