PSinha
PSinha asks:
Q:

Shy in front of others

My Daughter will be 2 year old this year. She is very shy infront of other. She is been going to day care when she was 7 month old. But still she is very shy. She plays OK in parks or malls etc. As soon as somebody comes our house..she becomes very shy, does not talk at all. When she is alone with us at home..she is perfectly alright. Even if she is meeting somebody evey week, she feels shyd for first half hour. I dont know how to overcome this.
Please help.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Choosing a preschool, Preparing my child for preschool

|

Hand in Hand

Hi PSinha,

I'm not sure that shyness is always something that needs to be overcome, but it certainly is something children and adults need to learn to work with. If shyness is a strong tendency for your daughter, she may need you to lovingly accept her, just the way she is. At the same time, you can warmly encourage her, helping to expand her view of the world so that she can see things are actually safer than she can immediately tell.

Here's one way you can help your daughter adjust to situations where she usually becomes shy. Before you go into a situation that you think may intimidate your daughter, try using our method of Special Time.

Children clearly thrive on moments when we are fully, warmly with them. Take ten or fifteen minutes before you get ready to go and use that time to shine your undivided attention onto your child. Willingly, happily do whatever it is that she enjoys doing with you at the moment. Play pillow fight. Drop lightweight balls down the stairs together. Allow some messy water play. Whatever she directs you to in your time together. Put your daughter in charge of the interaction and follow along with her, letting her be in control of the relationship for this short chunk of time. Radiate enthusiasm for whatever she offers you. This will help to bolster her sense of connection with you and will help her store up a little extra confidence for the situation that brings out the shyness.

This thoughtful reassurance may be just the boost your daughter needs to be more open to her encounters with the wider world. And there are lots more ideas in the resources included below.

We'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

Juli Idleman
Hand in Hand
www.handinhandparenting.org
2
0

vibhuti_iyer
vibhuti_iyer writes:
Hi dear,
I faced the same problem when my baby was two and a half year old. I was advised by a friend to put my daughter in a play school. And I must say that really helped. I enrolled my daughter to Eurokids International. It helped her to interact with kids of her group and also with new people. I would suggest you also look out for Eurokids International in your vicinity. I had a wonderful experience with them.
Best of luck..!

0
0
Anonymous