JennBeisel
JennBeisel , Parent asks:
Q:

What are Sight Words

Okay, so I may be a bit behind the times here, but what exactly are sight words and where do I start with teaching these? I am a mom of a four year old, and I want to start working with him.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

Best Answer!

Hi Jenn!

Sight words are words that tend to "pop" up, my school even refers to them as popcorn words.  I saved the list from my daughter's Kindergarten class to practice with my son who also starts in the next school year.  I am going to share this list with you.  We played games with the words, such as popcorn bingo, where you can make bingo cards with the words and then you call out words randomly or by "pulling"them, pop a batch of popcorn for your little one to use to mark the words as they are called.  This helps them to identify the words when they see them in a story.  They will also have to be able  to spell, write and alphabetize these words, so you may want to practice that too.  Here's the list, hope this helps!

a
all
am
and
are
at
be
big
by
can
for
from
go
got
have
he
I
in
is
it
like
look
love
me
my
not
of
on
out
play
said
see
she
that
the
they
to
up
was
we
went
will
with
you

I was able to find a box of sight word flash cards at Office Depot for a couple of bucks, that I found helpful to.  Have fun!

3
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Hi Jenn,

Great question! Sight words are words that offer very frequently in the English language, and that's it's easier for children to just memorize by sight than to try and sound out. Memorizing sight words is a key component of early literacy curriculum in schools. Follow the links for more info and a sight words list for kindergarten.

0
0
Just had a $ saving thought, I bought my flash cards before I had a list, but since you have the list now, you can make your own flash cards by writing the words on index cards.  :-)

1
0