HseMom43
HseMom43 asks:
Q:

I am a Single Mom of a 15 yr.old son w/Autism whom has repeatatly been bullyied & beaten in school. I am in NC, which has No Laws on Bullying.

What am I to do as a parent, when my continued complaints & requests falls on deaths ears to school officials & administrators? Recently he was attacked & stabbed (Sept.08) upon entering High School. The school took 3 (three) Hours to contact me. My son sat in school all day with a Multi-fractured nose, & puncture wound to the Mucosa; (confirmed @ local ER/hospital w/x-rays). I cannot afford an attorney, and again, my state; NC, is included with 10 other states, that has "No Laws On Bullying". To Date...Nothing has been done.

|

Nebraska

Here is are two links to bullying laws in North Carolina.
0
0

kidtherapist
kidtherapist , Child Professional writes:
Bullying is becoming an epidemic and unfortunately some schools look the other way because they are intimidated themselves.  Kids can be very cruel and target children that they perceive as different and your son due to Autism misses the cues that he is in trouble, so he is an easy target.  If the school will not do anything nor the school board if you have already done that, then I recommend that you transfer him to another school that can meet his special needs.  All states have some wonderful schools and by law and in NC, they must accomodate your child's special needs.  I have a special needs child myself and they are obliged to do whatever is necessary to help him.  Have you researched schools in your area, NOT public school, that are specifically for ASD children.  Kara T. Tamanini

2
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
First of all, I would like to say I am so sorry for what you guys are going through!  I teach children with autism, and it is not an easy job.  I commend you for trying to find answers!  I agree with what the other person has said to research schools in the area.

I see that you have gone to officials and administrators.  Have you talked directly to the teacher?  I would call an ARD (which is an IEP meeting) to discuss the issues that you see.  If you need make your own agenda so you don't forget anything.  I would also look into getting an advocate to come with you (there are many organizations out there that will help)

Good luck!  That is totally unacceptable!

2
0
teachingteachers
teachingtea... writes:
Most school systems in NC do have bullying policies.  I would encourage you to look at the system's website.  Bullying can include harrassment and/or assault.  Make sure you have addressed it with the principal and when you do, have a copy of the school system's policies and procedures with you.  Your system may also have a student support team at the central office level, contact them for additional information.

3
0
Dedevictora
Dedevictora writes:
Have you told the police about that they can do something about.

2
0
Dedevictora
Dedevictora writes:
You can also home school your child

2
1
Unfortunately there is a huge problem with this around the country. I have just finished doing some research on bullycide and I would like to express some things.
As a parent, it is difficult to "change the system", and of course I was always taught to fight to get my child an education there "in the system". I have read numerous articles and Youtube videos expressing how they had regret they did not take their children out and do some other form of educating. Some children take their lives to bullying and this is where you need to really think about. Is it worth all the fighting and harrassing he is having to endure going to the school? Is the stress on him and you taking its toll? If yes was the answer to these questions, them remove him immediately and find another educational outlet. One would be homeschooling of course and then private school is another. Your life will change and his will too when removed from the environment. I firmly believe when a system fails like this, it is time for you to take it in your own hands and make a change. Hopefully for the better ;) Its less stress and hassle. I hear my friend talking all the time about how the school does nothing. Both her children are on medication and now she is for the stress. This was the stress the bully caused.

1
0
sloane39
sloane39 writes:
call the police or call the disability advocates in your state.  this is disgusting.  It against the law for anyone to lay a hand on anyone.   Is he in a special school or a regular public school?  Does he have an IEP? I would suggest maybe a different school that deals with kids with autism so he can be around people who understand him better.

0
0
HseMom43
HseMom43 writes:
First & Foremost, Thanks for all the advise & support!!!  I have completely exausted all avenues with my son's school system here in NC.  In July, we're moving to Sacramento, Ca.  In hopes of a better start.  The NC school system has let me down, and this particular incident was the "final straw".  Starting from the beginning, my son has been to 5 (five) different elementary schools in this district, and two middle schools, now he is a Freshman in High School, and is attending a 2nd High school.  I have hired Lawyers, Advocates, Autism Specialist, Repeated IEP meetings, etc... to get in this school systems butt, and have them give my son a Free and Appropriate Education, but I am a repeated complainer parent, and a continuious "throne-in their-side", thus the reasoning of turning a blind-eye after the stabbing.  I am EXAUSTED!!! I'm Done!!! And we're moving to California.

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
OH DEAR!!   I wish I had seen this sooner.  I am an expert and author on bullying and do speak to various school districts on bullying and classroom management.   I live in NC and would like you to contact me at edie@raether.com or visist www.stopbullyingwithedie.com.  I will help and will get personally involved and am currently working with a few school districts there.   I also can connect you with various groups that can help you legally.  Have you called Judicare or google some
of the volunteer legal groups.  With a case like this, I would also call
the DA....i.e District Attorney.  Contact me

1
0