Anonymous
Q:

I am a single mother. I have a 13 year old son who is definitely going through a rough stage.

My son lives with his dad for school district purposes.  His grandmother keeps him while his dad and I work.  She has played a big part in his life since he was born bc I had him when I was 16.   Whenever he is with me all he wants to do is lay around, watch tv, play on the computer, or play xbox.  I dont allow him to bring the xbox to my house any longer(due to how i feel about kids being sucked into the internet world) therefore he hates coming to my house.  I try every single time he is here to get him to go do something whether it be play basketball or go to the movies or go out to eat and even let him bring friends around.  He never wants to do anything.  He makes up every excuse to not come spend time at my house.  And when i make him come over he makes the entire house miserable due to his attitude and rudeness to the family.  i try to instill respectful behavior in him but as soon as he leaves my house he gets to do whatever he wants bc his dad and dads family feel sorry for him bc he isnt outgoing and doesnt have very many friends.  when i try to get him involved in school activities he says im insulting him.  he is just a very antisocial soft kind of kid.  I need some kind advice on how to handle his attitude or to get him to want to be around more.  i am worried that when he turns 18 he will never come around:(
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

First, you and his dad have to have a serious discussion about how to raise your son.  Both of you need to agree on the same rules and consequences AND be consistent in enforcing them.

Second, you said that your son is antisocial and does not have many friends.  Do you think that your son might be depressed?
If so, seeing a therapist could help.

Third, try to get involved in fun activities with your son.  Simply directing him to go play the ball is not enough.  Suggest some fun activity together so that you could bond.

0
0