Urlilgurl
Urlilgurl asks:
Q:

My sister confided something in me, what do I do now?

My 12 year old sister just told me that she cuts herself.  They are on her leg and not deep and it does seem she is using this as a coping mechanism rather than a suicidal actiin.  I am in my early 20's and she is my world but telling our mom, whom we live with together, well I am unsure if this is the best option.  I got our mom to contact a therapist yesterday to get my sister into counseling but I found out she does this just last night.  My sister lost her father (long story) and says she cuts herself because of fighting with our mom.  Do I tell my mom, contact the therapist..?  My concern is that my sister and I have a special bond, she is my world, and confides in me and no one else in the family.  Do I burn that bridge and tell our mom who could not do anything but make the situation worse or just contact the therapist she will be seeing?  I really need advice...  Please help.
In Topics: Teen issues, Cutting

|
haileycolt
haileycolt writes:
dont tell your mom but get her into a therapist self-harm is an addiction and a very powerful addiction. she needs to talk about the root of why she is cutting so she can find a new way to cope, but she cant stop for you or anyone else she has to stop for herself, you cant force her to stop her self-harm habits no matter your intentions it wont work you will just lose her because she wont trust you anymore and you dont want to burn that bridge ever.

2
1
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Sister bonds are strong and you must keep it so.  However, you need to help her otherwise she might do something drastic.  The talking to the therapist is a good thing and get it done soonest.  Be there for her always and when she feels like cutting herself, say she must come talk to you and the 2 of you can go for a walk or do something to distract her.  Good luck and be strong.  It also helps to talk to the priest at your local church.

0
0