Jackolynn
Jackolynn asks:
Q:

My sister is cutting herself and I don't know what to do..She doesn't see anything wrong with it.

My sister has cut herself in the past and is now doing it again. I don't know how to help her at all. She thinks its okay. She also drinks a lot and smokes weed. I am very worried about her and need to know what to do. Please help.
In Topics: Cutting

|

It must be really frustrating to see someone you care about hurting themselves.  All of the things you mentioned that she is doing are self-destructive.  Young people often engage in these types of behaviors because they want to feel better.  They want to escape the emotional pain they are in. Sometimes they do it to fit in to a peer group that thinks these behaviors are cool.

Do you know if there is something causing her emotional pain?  Will she talk to you about what is stressful in her life?  Sometimes it is school, sometimes relationships, and sometimes it is unrealistic expectations that she is putting on herself.

There are actually two things that you can do to help her.  First of all encourage her to talk to you or to someone that she can trust with her feelings.

Secondly, let your parents know that you are worried about your sister and ask that they join you in helping her.  They are actually in the best position to get her the help she needs. Initially your sister may be upset that you shared information about her with your parents.  You are doing it to help not to hurt her.  Some day she will thank you.

1-800-448-3000
1
1

Hello Jackolynn,

Please talk with your parents (or your sister's legal guardian) about this issue immediately. Cutting is a very dangerous behavior, and your sister needs professional help to resolve this serious issue. You are doing the right thing in seeking help for your sister, but need to get assistance from a trustworthy adult (such as a doctor) who can help your sister in person. I urge you to call your family's doctor (or 911) immediately.

1
0
dkarpf
dkarpf writes:
First of all she is fortunate to have such a caring sister. Your sister is in denial which is common with any addiction. I would encourage you to talk with those who can help her- perhaps your parents. If not, then I strongly suggest you contact an addiction counselor for advice. Tell your sister she has an addiction. Cutting herself is a way actually of dealing with feelings. If she can't feel her feelings so to speak at least by cutting herself she can feel. Its a way of coping but a dangerous one. She needs help that is beyond you. Does she have any straight friends that perhaps two or three of you can sit down with her and in a gentle loving way when she is sober tell her you are worried about her-and that she must get some help.. Have a plan of action as to what you will do if she does not get some help. Good Luck

1
0
teencutter
teencutter writes:
yeah,i get it,thats how i started cutting myself,by my sister doing it

1
0
bmbmbmb
bmbmbmb writes:
I fell verry sory for you and your sister. There is not a lot i can say as why she is doing it. It cold be a resolt of someone bolying her or as you say she smokes weed i know you wont wont to but tell your peronts they can help all i know you can do is give her sapport and try to get her off the durgs and dring and she might stop i give you my best
And i hope she stops it

0
0
KAMNSIN
KAMNSIN writes:
My sister cuts herself. What I did was tell her what you think and didn't sugar coat it. Be real and true, she should listen to you. Tell me how it goes.

0
0