ConcernedSister
ConcernedSi... asks:
Q:

My little sister is cutting herself and I don't know what to do.

I have had some suspicions for a while that my little sister was cutting herself, but today I saw the cuts very clearly. I know that she is doing this to herself.
What should I do? My family has a history of depression. My mom tried to commit suicide a long time ago and I am currently taking Prozac for Anxiety and Depression. I am very scared that my sister (who is only 15) will try to commit suicide.
Should I confront her about it? Or should I talk to my parents first?
I don't know if anyone else knows or has suspicions about what she is doing. What should I do?
In Topics: Teen issues, Cutting

|

Dear Concerned Sister,

You definitely have valid reasons to be concerned about your sister.  It is possible she is cutting without the intention of wanting to end her life. But it's also known that some kids who cut themselves do eventually cut deeper and may develop suicidal thoughts. Cutting is dangerous because even if a youth is not trying to end their life, they could do so by accidentally cutting a vein too deeply.

Because of your sister's age, your parents need to know what is going on so they can find help for her. You can let your sister know first that you are aware that she is cutting herself and then let her know you will be talking to your parents. Ask your sister if she ever has thoughts of ending her life and encourage her to keep talking to you about her feelings.

It would be best for your sister to meet with a therapist who specializes in self-harm issues as soon as possible. If your sister is having thoughts of suicide she should be taken to a hospital or a crisis center for an evaluation. Continue to be a source of support for her. Hopefully your parents will understand the immediate need to get help for their daughter and will follow through. If they don't, please talk with another trusted adult in your family who can help, or if you are old enough you may be able to make an appointment for her.

If you would like to talk with a counselor about this, please call or e-mail us. We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week for teens and parents. You may also give your sister our website for teens which discusses such issues as self harm and depression in teens: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org
Take care and best wishes to you and your sister!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
yourlifeyourvoice@boystown.org
2
0

PatriciaChavez
PatriciaCha... writes:
ConcernedSis,
Please, Please get her help! Take her to the hospital ASAP!  My 15 yr old just did the same thing last week and was on a 72 hr hold because of cutting and said she wanted to kill herself.  Please be brave and help your sister before it can become too late.  If you cant talk to your parents, ask other family members for help, like aunts, uncles, or church members but do it ASAP, please dont wait, your sister needs help now. You and your family with be in my prayers.

3
0
sakurado
sakurado writes:
Hi ConcernedSister,

Hope your sister is OK! I think the best thing to do is talk to your parents, and be there for your sister all the time (or at least most the time you can). Try to make her feel supported, and love. Maybe by doing so, ur little sister can feel better, and maybe she can even share what she feels and then you can help her with whatever problem or issues that bothers her.

I am totally agree that you should talk to someone if your parents cannot help. Aunt, uncle, church member..  someone you think your sister will look up to and someone she trust and listen will be best to approach her.

Hope everything will be just fine for you, your sis and ur family. God bless you..

1
0
Marylcooper
Marylcooper writes:
The only source of true comfort in this world is not of this world but is the creator and sustainer of it. Having tried all else with all else proving to be utterly useless or temporary relief, I strongly suggest that you run to the only refuge for our souls: He who is, who was, and who is to come, the omnipotent. We can only approach Him by way of His son Jesus the Christ. So I bid you my friend to come for the love of life, your own, and that of you sister,come.

0
1
heenal
heenal writes:
talk to your family. and talk to your parents first

0
0