teencutter
teencutter asks:
Q:

My sister is suicidal, has been cutting and I think has been doing drugs.

she is 15,home schooled and has depression,bipolar,a.d.d.,and a lot of other stuff.she keeps on talking bout death and saying if our rents get a divorce and she has 2 live w/our mom,she will kill herself(and they r not even talking bout divorce anymore.) please don't tell me to tell an adult or "someone i trust" cause she would kill me. i cannot betray her trust, but she has been cutting again and i think she has been doing drugs. (i cut to,but not as bad as her)  please help!!!
In Topics: Depression, Teen alcohol and substance abuse, Cutting

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com, and thank you for reaching out to find help for your sister.

What your sister is doing is very dangerous.  She is crying out for help.  You will not be betraying her trust by telling a trusted adult about what she is doing to herself.  On the contrary, you would be betraying her as a sister to not get help for her!  She may be angry with you at first for divulging her "secret"...but wouldn't you rather put up with her anger and disappointment, rather than find that she had overdosed or cut herself too deep and ended her own life?

It took courage for you to reach out and ask for help.  Now, take that same courage to the next level and tell your parents or another adult such as her doctor, who can get your sister help before it is too late.  Over time your sister will be grateful to you because she will understand that you cared enough to step in and find her help.

You can also speak directly with a crisis counselor about how to help your sister. Or, you can encourage your sister to give us a call.  We can be reached 24 hours, every day on our toll-free hotline at:  1-800-448-3000.  Or, you can go to one of our websites listed below and talk to a counselor through e-mail.  We talk to teenagers and parents who are dealing with issues like cutting and suicide every day.  Take care, and hope to hear from you or your sister soon!

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000
3
0

Based on the details that you have included in your question, it is extremely important that you immediately talk to a trusted adult (your parents, teacher or doctor) about this in person. This is a very serious matter that cannot be resolved in an online forum. It's great that you are seeking help for your sister (and yourself), but I strongly urge you to talk to a health professional, your parents or a teacher immediately so that you and your sister can get the help you need.

If you don't have an adult that you can talk to immediately offline, please call Boys Town National Hotline (1-800-448-3000) or 911 now.

1
0
Hope4cutters
Hope4cutters writes:
Your sister is in a danger zone. Take action and direct her towards help.

1
0
tall-Rhonda
tall-Rhonda writes:
Hi there I just had to answer you. I know you don't want to betray your sister, but wouldn't you rather her be mad at you for awhile if you tell someone about this situation, or have her die? Because if she doesn't get help, it will happen. I've seen too much of this.She wont be mad forever. But you really really need to do something. If you love her? I know it's hard but if you dont and something does happen, you'll regret it and it will kill you inside. You will get the coulda, woulda, shoulda thinking going on and by then it will be too late. So think about it ok? Have her get mad for awhile or save her life?? She just might thank you in the end. Well I hope everything will be ok. Just let me know ok? Take care of you first, then do what you HAVE to do. Rhonda

0
0
Gookers
Gookers writes:
Talk to her. I believe you and her both should go and talk with someone (a therapist for suggestion) together; try to work on not cutting yourselves and becoming stronger individuals with yourselves from the help of one another. I really, really look up to you for not wanting to betray you sister, I respect you for that, but on the other hand is her life worth risking if you don't tell an adult who can seriously help her; and I don't mean telling your parents either. I wouldn't tell an adult either if I was you cauze I wouldn't want to betray my sister either but definitely think about going to a therapist or a counselor together to help you both on not cutting yourselves and your sister with not wanting to kill herself too. Best of luck to you both!!

0
0
weirdsom1015
weirdsom1015 writes:
Hi my sister is the same way and I am her little brother and I am going through the same thing as you are my sister cuts and tried to end her life and I wanted to tell my mom and dad every thing but I didn't what to ruin our bother and sister relationship but I did not what her to commit suicide even more so I told my parents and she got mad at me but it will be ok

0
0
Anonymous