torri77
torri77 asks:
Q:

Should I skip my gifted daughter to the 2nd grade instead of having her go to first grade?

My daughter just finished up Kindergarten and we moved to a new town.  Her Kindergarten teacher told us that she is on a 4th grade reading level and a 2nd grade learning level and is worried that she might be bored in 1st grade.  I contacted the School District in our new town, and they don't have a plan for gifted children until the 3rd grade.  Do I skip her to 2nd grade?  She only barley missed the deadline to be there anyway, so the age difference isn't that big.  The other option they gave me is to take her to a different school, it is not near our home, and put her in Spanish Immersion.  I am just not sure that is the wisest choice since she wouldn't live near her school friends.  I am stuck in making this decision!  Also, another note, we will be moving one last time in 1 year.  Hopefully to the same school area, but there is a possibility of it not.  For sure though, it will be the same district.  Please help!
In Topics: My gifted child

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mom,
I see your dilemma. Although she may be academically ready for the higher grade level work, a main consideration should be her "emotional level". I would start her in the 1st grade and watch how she does the first tri-mester. Then speak to your daughter and her teacher and see if by then you know if she would be ready emotionally to make the jump to second grade. I would also tell your daughter that you know that she is ahead of the class but want to see if she would be happy staying with her first grade class. I think it€™s wiser to start her out in first and then be able to justify her being moved ahead to second, rather than starting her out in second to find out that emotionally she just is not prepared and then have to move her back. Make sense? With the primary grades it€™s usually the emotions that need to catch up to the academics in gifted children. You know your daughter the best. You would know if she is ready emotionally to skip a grade. I have a grand daughter that just finished Kindergarten and is also reading also on a second grade level. No way emotionally is she ready to skip a grade. I hope I€™ve shed a different perspective on your issue.

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

1
0
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Well Mom you anwered the one question I had. Was she emotionally ready to skip a grade. You answered load and clear. My vote is now with you, let her skip a grade. Let the future take care of itself. Keep nuturing her strengths and being the invested Mother that  you are. And don't worry Mom, you'll be just fine, too...;-)

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0
GretaG
GretaG writes:
This may be late for you, but I wanted to share my story.  I skipped first grade in circumstances similar to your daughter.  My family had just moved to a new town.  My mother tried to tell the principal that I was 'ahead' of my class.  He did not listen.  I was put into first grade.  That lasted less than a week.  My first grade teacher insisted that I be put up.  I was disrupting her class by helping to teach the other students -- my kindergarten teacher had encouraged me to do this the year before.
My brithday is in March, so I was much younger than most of my classmates throughout my school years.  Other than being late to date and to drive a car, I really did not have problems with having skipped.  I know I would have been bored and would have probably caused a lot of trouble if I had not been put up.

2
0
IngridBSmith
IngridBSmith writes:
I have the same question about my grandson, although have not been offered any options yet.  He is in first grade, 9th day, and crying that he hates school and has not learned anything there, anyway.  He tested at 4th grade reading and math when he was 4 years old, and 5th grade instructional level.  His 7th birthday will be on Nov. 21, so also did not miss the deadline by less than 2 months.  Need help!  Our gifted program also does not begin until 3rd grade, and would not be in his neighborhood school, if he went there.  His mom, (whom we sadly lost last October) attended the programs I speak of, as he and his father live in my home, as did she.  I am so frustrated.  As an educator myself for 30+ years, I am well aware of what is and is not offered.  As far as your child, if she is emotionally mature, I see nothing wrong with skipping to 2nd grade.  My daughter was given only the Spanish immersion when she was in 2nd grade, and it did not help her GT learning, although she did not mind the experience, largely due to the teacher.  I think staying with her present school friends would be much more beneficial.  Hope this helps a bit.

0
0
laqueoia
laqueoia writes:
I'm having the same problem i don't know if i should because my daughters teacher said my daughter be more social behind than her grades. i just want to  see if she more stay-able in kindergarten than she be in second graded come next.

0
0
misscharito
misscharito writes:
HI, I think you should go ahead, if the age difference is not a big issue and you can handle the distance to drive her back and forth to school. This is a good moment for her to start learning Spanish with the rest of her new class, you don´t want her to miss the first days of classes there.

I have a similar situation, my boy is 4 years old and he already reads at a first grade level in English and second grade level in Spanish (English is his second language); he googles the info he wants to find, and he taught himself to add 3 digit numbers by reading the directions on the internet (in English). None of his classmates knows the letters yet, let alone read. He just finished the first of 3 levels of preschool in Mexico, and he hasn´t been offered the option to skip grades.  I am afraid that if we ask for such a thing, he would be pointed out by people here at school, and he would be significantly smaller than his classmates and could be bullied more easily. Should I be concerned about those considerations? Emotionally he is ok, I think he could easily fit with older children, but he looks really tiny next to them.

0
0