mheyse
mheyse asks:
Q:

How can I keep my sleepwalking son safe at summer camp?

My son is a sleepwalker. He is going to scout camp this summer. He will be sleeping in a platform tent. I'm concerned about him getting lost in the woods or coming into contact with the animals. Is there some kind of a device that I could keep track of him if he sleepwalks into the woods?
In Topics: Camp and summer enrichment

|

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Hi Mike,

While I'm not sure of any actual devices, I wonder if there are any other things that can be done to alert the other campers that he has started to walk. For example, I've read that some people put bells on the cuffs of their childrens pajamas, so that when they get up the parents can hear the child.  It might serve you well to get your son a cellphone and keep it in his pajama pockets so should he wander off unnoticed, he can phone someone and say where he is. This is, of course, if they are camping within cell phone range.

There is something called a Child Alert Jr, which is a radio transmitter a child wears, and if the child goes past a preset distance of 15 or 30 feet, an alarm goes off.

You should also alert those running the camp that your son sleep walks so they can be extra attentive through the night to make sure he's okay.

Please let us know what you end up doing! And please, other community members reading this, post your ideas to help these folks out!

Edu-Katherine
Community Team

0
0