CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher asks:
Q:

Is there a social aspect of eating for children?

I think parents are so concerned with nutrition and food amount, we forget that there maybe a socialization aspect of eating for kids.  
In Topics: Nutrition

|

Children learn from adults various behaviors, thus meal-time is an excellent opportunity for parents to teach their children eating social behaviors!  For example, during family meals kids can be taught good table manners, healthy food choices, and table conversation.
0
0

Hi Rachna,

We observed some behavior with our daughter that may fit into the category of eating socialization. Specifically, there are some foods that I've cooked at home and offered to my daughter that she refused. But then when we were camping with other kids and mommies, and she was offered the same item, she said yes (and enthusiastically ate the food item along with the other kids). I've found that there are many items she'll incorporate into her diet if she sees other kids enjoying them too (wonder if children with siblings do the same -- our child is an only child).

Another example:
In first grade, she wanted to eat the school lunch (vs. bringing a lunch), because that's what most of her friends were doing (not because she liked that food better -- most times, she liked what I offered more, ate that at snack time and just socialized during lunch hour, skipping the school meal). So far in second grade, many of the kids are bringing lunch from home, and that's what she wants to do too.

So, I do think there are social aspects to eating. Not sure if these examples above are what you had in mind. If not: please add to your question and I'll do my best to respond accordingly.

2
0