noori asks:

Is the solution for my child reading difficulties to lower her a grade?

My child is going to second grade, she is 7 yrs. She is good in all subjects except reading. While testing her for the new school they found out that she has reading difficulties and want to lower her to grade 1 in order to get the reading foundation. I said no, she is good in other materials, and I can work on her reading abilities. The principal insists that she is going to have a hard time in second grade. I would like to mention that she is so smart and has full marks in math, science, and social. What is the right decision?
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs
> 60 days ago



Sep 24, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

It is important that you first set up a meeting with the principal and anyone else at the school who may ultimately be working with your daughter, such as a reading specialist. Many children with reading difficulties are often very smart, which may be why your daughter is able to do so well in her other subjects, despite her difficulties in reading.

It may not serve her best interest to repeat the first grade just to work on her reading. Since she is excelling in all other areas, she should continue to be challenged and learn new things in all areas of school. It is the school's responsibility to work with your daughter and determine what services she needs to help her in her reading skills.

It is extremely important that you reinforce the help they are giving her in school by working on it at home as well. You know your daughter better than anyone and will always be the best advocate for her to be able to get the services and help she needs in order to do well in all aspects of school.

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

sirenssong writes:
Don't hold her back due to reading difficulties.  There are special interventions and classes that can and will help her to catch up.  Request a special education assessment to see if there is some learning disability that is preventing her from learning in the same way as the other children.  Once you have the assessment, the school will call an ARD (or you can) Admission review dismissal meeting. At the ARD you will be givent he assessment results and can discuss the interventions needed to get her up to speed.  The states are required to provide help and intervention for anyone with a documented learning disability.  If it is a disability, just keeping her back a grade will not help her, she needs specialized assistance.  I am surprised they did not suggest assessments, but you can and should.  (they must assess her if you request it, by law) Be firm but polite.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely