Scaredmom1980
Scaredmom1980 asks:
Q:

What is the best solution to push my 14 year old to want to pass and learn?

My son is 14 years old. He has been passed along for way too long. Now in a new school we are trying to motivate him to learn the basics of reading and writing and comprehension on what he is reading. He has fallen into a hole of not caring if he passes or fails anymore because there has not been punishments in the previous years in school (pass/fail). What can I do to help him understand that it is important to learn these things and to graduate? He has not been honest about homework assignments and repeatedly does not hand in assignments as well. I am worried his motivation just does not exist anymore and that I have failed him. Would Boot Camp or another juvenile camp benefit him? He is a good kid, does not get into trouble, just does not have the drive to succeed. Please help.
Thanks,
Scared Mom
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, National education standards and No Child Left Behind

|

Hello Scared Mom,

Please consider talking with the School Psychologist to work together on a behavior plan for your son.  There are many strategies that can be implemented and also counseling may be additionally needed to get him back on track.

If there is a mentor program available in your school, consider signing him up- this way another person may help to motivate him.

0
0