mrs.linaakil asks:

My son is 15 years old w/ IEP. We moved overseas where there is no help. What can I do at home w/ no help from school?

8 grade w/5 grade level.

Question asked after reading:
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Special education
> 60 days ago



Feb 8, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

I can really empathize with your situation.  Perhaps this information can be of help-

1- If you have moved due for military or State Department employment, please check with their educational/ family counselor to see if there is some way to receive tutoring or special services for your child.

2. If your child is diagnosed with Learning Disabilities, there are a number of online sources to help.  The National Learning Disabilities Association has a number of links to guide parents and students. There also are some good grassroots websites that were started by parents.  In addition, some homeschool networks also have practice and tutorial kinds of information.   I conducted a simple website search and was able to access a number of fun sites for a variety of learning challenges.

One of my favorite websites is ABCTEACH.COM  Here you will find a lot of at home activities to help reinforce learning.

Also, keep learning fun and not a chore.  And consider books on tape, captioned videos and online resources for help with learning.

If you wish to add more information to your question, I will try to narrow down the information and steer you to some individual websites, more than listed above

Good luck!

Louise Masin Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified School Psychologist
Owner of Signing Families

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely