Brit1
Brit1 asks:
Q:

my son is 22 months! He wakes sometimes with a dry diaper. I always know when he is Wetting or having a bowel movement, (in diaper).  He seems ready?.

I purchased a potty ( a cars one) Because he likes that movie & i thought he'd b interested, The 1st day he seemed very interested, he even peed in it twice. We have been training a week now, (i have a routine, When he wakes, before bed etc.) But in the past few days, he has turned away from it. He had been doing so well, going 3 times a day, but i may get once a day now.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/potty...
In Topics: Potty Training

|
LJMG
LJMG writes:
I'm not sure of what you actual question is, but I'm assuming it is along the lines of, "is my child really ready for potty training?"  I'm no "expert" in the sense of childhood education or psychology; I'm just a mother of 4 kids ages 12-3, and I've been through a bit of potty issues over the years.  

My oldest child was the child of a lot of parents dreams.  She was completely trained by age 2!  So of course when the next one came along, I thought she would be as simple as her big sister!  Unfortunately, this was not the case.  With my second daughter, I learned that all of the rewards, discipline, frustration, happy smiley faces, character potty's, was not going to make her train any faster.  I tried EVERYTHING!!!!  I'm not kidding.  By the time she was 3 1/2 I took her to the doctor and explained my frustrations with the whole process.  She was going to a "big kid" preschool, and absolutely could not be in pull ups!  The doctor knew of all of the things I had tried, and he proceeded to try to scare her into training.  She laughed at him when he tried to "scare" her into going to the potty.  I have to admit it wasn't scary, and was quite funny.  Anyway, many months after our visit to the doctor, she goes to the bathroom, and does her business all by herself.  Didn't ask me or anything!  From then on she went to the potty, like she had been going for years.  She was about 4 by then.

After her I had to train my sons; which were very interesting.  My oldest son (child #3), trained without many issues, what helped him was constantly going to the bathroom with his dad.  This way he was able to see it in action (so to speak).  He; however,  is currently a bedwetter.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to know that he gets a little embarrassed about it.  With him we make sure we watch his fluid intake before bed time, and make sure he goes to the bathroom right before bed.  We NEVER make him feel bad about it, believe me he already knows how it is.  He is 6 and we are told this is common especially in boys.  It is getting better, but I will admit I am frustrated at times.  Never at my son; just the situation.

This brings me to my youngest son (3 years), he has been a pleasure to train mainly because we are more calm parents and understand he won't go off to college in pampers or pull ups. We would watch his cues i.e. after eating, or drinking.  We would take him to the bathroom with us, especially his dad.  We sat the potty in the bathroom, and while we went, he would sit on his potty.  Urinating in the pot (like a big boy) was easier than him sitting.  Try to have him sink cheerios in the toilet as target practice! My son liked that game.  My child is now fully trained, with no mistakes that I can think of.

So as you see, I've been through the roller coaster ride of potty training a couple of times.  All I can tell you is to stay calm, watch your son and know his cues.  Does he stand and will refuse to sit if he has to defecate (poop)?  Does he do the pee-pee dance when he has to urinate?    Maybe put the potty in the bathroom near your toilet, and when you have to go, put him on the potty.  If he does something,"GREAT!"  If he doesn't, it's ok, just try next time.  If he has an accident on himself; say it's a number 2 (poop), dump it in the toilet and tell him stinky goes in the toilet!  Have him repeat that to you.  See if this helps.  One last thing, remember that potty training isn't just physical, it's mental too!  He has to be mature mentally enough to be able to train.  And then he has to be able to make the connection between not going in his pamper...holding it until he can make it to the potty...and then successfully going in the potty!  This will not happen overnight!  It's a lot for them to process!  Hope my story helps!  Good luck!

2
0
Brit1
Brit1 writes:
Thanks! My son is only 22months, so he doesnt talk much! but he does make it clear (body language) when he is going in his pamper. I started him already because ppl told me around 2 is a good age! i have his potty in our bathroom by mine! he never refuses to go in there & get on it, but sometimes he gets fussy after having been on it only a few mins! I just didnt know if he is actually ready! He normally goes pee in his potty 3times a day! He has did #2 in it twice! We reward him. He seemed very interested @ 1st, but now... not so much! som ppl tell me to lay off & wait til he is older, Other ppl say keep trying! Im getting mixed signals! (i am a young mother) so i just dont know What to do ive never ptty trained before

0
0