laydie_d
laydie_d asks:
Q:

My son is 26 months and doesn't say a word. Is there a problem with his speech development?

In Topics: Speech or language impairment

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

If your child is 26 months and isn't saying any words at all, it is highly recommended to have him seen by a licensed speech-language pathologist.  

Please see the link below for more information about developmental milestones based on a child's age.  
0
0

Hi laydie_d,

Every kid develops at their own pace and there's a huge range of "normal" but 26 months does seem a little late to not be talking at all. It's worth a trip to the pediatrician to just make sure there aren't any developmental or physical issues your son needs support for. Your doctor will want to know if your son is working to communicate with you in other ways (pointing, signing, making up his own language, etc) so make sure to watch for that in the days before the appointment. If your doctor says all's well then you'll feel better and can just keep talking to and reading to your son until he's ready to start talking himself!

Good luck,

1
0
TalkItUpSpeech
TalkItUpSpe... , Teacher, Parent writes:
Hi laydie_d,

I would definitely call for an appointment with your county's early intervention, birth-3. Though it's true that children develop at their own pace, it's also true that children hit certain milestones within a range. Children between the ages of 18-24 months have at least a vocabulary of 50 words, at which point they begin combing words. If your child is not producing any language, then a complete evaluation is needed. I work with this population daily as a speech-language pathologist. I copied milestones I have on my site.

Sincerly,

Christopher
Talk It Up Speech Therapy

1
0