angelkeeper
angelkeeper asks:
Q:

My son will be 5 in November. What options are available to get him in school without missing an whole year?

In Topics: Preschool

|

sluehring
sluehring , School Administrator, Teacher, Parent writes:
Your options of course depend a whole lot on where you are located.  However in general there are some very good options if you want your child to start school now. My daughter also has a November birthday, so I do understand the challenge.

Of course you could try a preschool.  Some of the private or religious schools may even have full-time options.  It is important to note that the 'curriculum' in a preschool can vary quite a bit, so check out something that fits well with the goals you have for your child (and their specific needs.)

If available for your child I'd look for a Jr. Kindergarten or K4 program.  These tend to be more geared to preparing children academically and socially for Kindergarten.  Again it is important to research the actual curriculum because some may not be much different from a preschool setting.

I would also recommend that you explore the non-academic portions of the curriculum thoroughly as well.  Four year-olds need something developmentally appropriate which includes a focus on their social and emotional health.

Blessings on your searching. . .

1
0