concerneddad
concerneddad asks:
Q:

My son is 5yrs old in kindergarten. He is potty trained but can't clean himself because of some disabilities. Are teachers required to help clean him?

In Topics: Special needs, Potty Training

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

There is not easy response to this question as I am not certain to the kind of disability to you have referenced.  If your son has an IEP- special education plan-  then you may wish to ask the special education multi-disciplinary team to write in goals about hygiene or ask for assistance as part of the plan.  More than likely a school nurse/ health assistant will become involved.  An Occupational Therapist also may be the person who will provide your son with some kind of training or techniques, depending on his disability.

However, a teacher being required to "clean him" is in my opinion, unlikely.  Since I have not seen a question quite like this before please help other parents by letting us know the outcome, if you are so inclined.

Good luck!  Again, thank you for writing.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

1
0