ogbeach
ogbeach asks:
Q:

My son is 8 and has Aspergers. He doesn't want to be involved in any activities (sports, cub scouts). Should I encourage him to join one?

I brought him to developmental pedi., who diagnosed him with Aspergers.
In Topics: Outside the classroom, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|
kevin_edu
kevin_edu writes:
Ask him what he would like to do and see if he comes up with any ideas. If not, give him serveral activities to choose from and tell him that he has to pick one. If he participates several times and doesn't enjoy it, tell him that he has to pick another activity to try out. Don't just let him sit around. Also, ask your doctor for recommendations for activities for young children with Aspergers.

2
0
ogbeach
ogbeach writes:
Thanks Kevin. That is a good idea.

0
0
QuriosityKills
QuriosityKi... writes:
Have you looked into any support/youth groups that is spacifically for kids with Autism?? I work in a center called "Hope For Autism" this is situated in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. Heres the link to their website     http://www.hopeforautism.org.uk/. Good luck with your son, although be very careful not to force him too hard to socialise…it will take time. X

0
0
ogbeach
ogbeach writes:
I will look into support groups in our area.  That is a good idea.
Thanks,
ogbeach

0
0
Anonymous