mommyof6andcounting
mommyof6and... asks:
Q:

My son will be 8 and we kept him out of school due to some behavioral problems. We want him to start this year. Is it too late?

My son had no attention spanned and was very loud and didn't follow directions at all. We had him tested and was told he was find no ADHD or ADD so we kept him out of school and worked with him on our own. Now he is find and acts like any other kid his age but is it to late for him to start school?
We want to school him on-line if that makes a difference.
In Topics: Back to school, School and Academics, Special needs

|

I commend you for wanting the best for your child and seeking help.

I recommend that you speak with a counselor in the local school system. Bring the diagnostic information with you. These records are confidential and may be released only with your permission. If you have any academic work, this can be evaluated to determine if he is on grade level since he is considered "home schooled". Your son may also be tested to determine his academic level and placement in the appropriate grade level. His age will be an important factor in placement. If there are behavioral concerns, there are many resources within the school system to provide support for your child. The ultimate goal is for him to be academically successful.  

If you chose to continue his education at home, there are some excellent resource for parents, including socialization and networking to develop a well-rounded child.

1
0

cinastasha
cinastasha , Child Professional, Teacher, Caregiver, Parent, Student writes:
ask a responsible adult to help like a consular.get your son a out of school consuler, or talk to a teacher who deals with problems, also the best thing to do is talk to him or a consular about how YOU and your SON are felling. i think you should put him in.also you should spin time together alone.

1
1
ahindra
ahindra writes:
I think it's not too late to school him.Sometime some child need more time to get there cognitive development.Don't worry; I think it will be better for to give more time so that he feel's free,and guide him properly.Most probably you may need to talk to your school teacher about the matter of your child.

0
0
darinh96
darinh96 writes:
I agree that is should not be too late to get your child in his local school. Many students will leave a home school environment to a public school at various times during the school year. I do agree with an earlier post that you should arrange a visit with the school counselor that your child will be attending. Again, share the information about why you chose to keep your child out of school and the testing that you had done. With this information, your counselor will hopefully begin a working relationship to build a support program if there are any future issues that might need to be addressed.

1
0
Anonymous