Birtanem
Birtanem asks:
Q:

Hi my son he is 8 years old he wrote some thing bad at the school

My son he is  in 3Th grade he is teacher ask the kids write some thing you want to write and my son write about booming some place  when the teacher saw this she send my son the office  they ask him question    They act like my son he-rt some one or do something very bad  they call me after me and my son felt so bad about this I am still thinking why they  overreact  help please is that rite what they did please  I need help
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Many schools now have a "no-tolerance" rule against bringing weapons of any kind to school, even toy weapons. The no-tolerance rule also applies to making any type of physical or violent threat. The threat does not have to be verbal, it can be written on paper. Your son's writing about bombing some place is something which the school has to take serious. If your son was older and in high school, he probably would have been expelled. It is important for you to take this seriously as well, without shaming your son or making him feel that he is a bad child. Try to look at this situation as a learning experience for both you and your son.

If you would like to speak with a counselor, please call our toll-free hotline or e-mail us anytime. We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week to help parents and children. Take care and don't hesitate to reach out again!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

MyTwoKiddos
MyTwoKiddos writes:
I don't think the Administration over reacted. There are school shootings and hostage situations, too regularly. Our children must be taught that this kind of behavior or talk is not acceptable. It's the Administration and Teacher's job to keep our children safe while in their care.

1
0
Sheborg
Sheborg writes:
I would find out if your school has a counselor in the building.  If so, make an appointment with the counselor and explain what happened and the counselor should be able to help your son understand why writing that would be innappropriate without making him feel bad.

As a parent, you could also try to figure out if he was trying to express some frustration he might be having about something.  I think the problem is not how the school handled it, but that he wanted to write that in the first place.  If your son is not fluent in English, make sure someone who can translate can help you talk to the counselor.

1
0
rpalomin5
rpalomin5 writes:
Well in a scenario like this you have to stop and think about what has been going on in America. I don't know what you origin is but that could play a role in this. I would talk to the school (state appointed) counselors. They will be able to help steer you in the right direction. Did you talk with your son about why her wrote that?

0
0