madmama , Parent asks:

my son is in 8th grade and has a reading level of a 1st grader.

my son is in 8Th grade but has a academic grade level of a 1st grader. How is he going to handle high school? on top of having this specific learning disability he also has mental disorder on top of it. he gets so depress over the school environment and the fear that everyone is judging him. and its so hard for the school to take in the fact that they may be educating him but there not meeting his mental needs like when he struggles in computers and I've talked to them about reducing the work so that he gets the feeling of completing a assignment it would boost his confidence.. so i guess my question is how do i get the school to take his mental disorders into consideration when planning his iep? my husband and i are considering home school him...they already have him a a completion track instead of diploma tract.....
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Working with school administrators
> 60 days ago



Apr 28, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

First, thank you for your question.  Second, I am sorry that you have struggled with ensuring the best education for you child.  There are some basic steps that you can take to ensure that your child is placed in the  best program suited for his needs.  If you have not done so already, make sure that you understand all the assessment results documented in his Individualized Learning Plan so that you know what are his learning strengths and needs.  Then, find out what resources and programs are available in your school district to work with children that have similar needs to your child.  Because of the age of your child, his needs are much more pressing and there should be multiple interventions to help him.  Without knowing what support activities he is currently receiving, I would suggest that you also look beyond the schools for extra assistance.  For example, if your child cannot read, local public libraries, Boys Clubs, Adult Education Classes, Community Colleges, and other community organizations may offer literacy classes.  Enroll him to get extra help after school.  If there is a university near your home, check with their education department, special education department or psychology department to see if they need special needs students for their studies. There are many benefits and support activities for children who participate.  
I would suggest that 'home schooling' ought to be the last choice for your child.  Your child has needs that are complex and may be costly to address, or may need the expertise of a variety of experts.  So, before you decide on this option, you may want to give the schools another opportunity and seek further assistance within your community.

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

thea72 writes:
The school needs to actually address his IEP it doesn't matter if he has a learning disability or mental issues.  Look in your student handbook for more information.  Why have you waited 7 years to do anything about it?  I wouldn't suggest homeschooling unless you can be able to meet his needs.  The school has more resources and he is eligible to attend school until he is 21 with an IEP.  I'm not sure what state you are in, but you should google (IEP + your state)  the requirements for the school & put it in a letter & keep a copy of it.  I am from MO & have posted it's info below. Look at the website below for examples.  Your state should have the same info.  Hope this helps.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely