rjenki43
rjenki43 asks:
Q:

My son is in the 9th grade, we recently moved to a new school district. He comes home every day and complains about the school. He doesn't like the

Fact that there are only a couple of students the same race as him. In his previous school, his race was the majority. Should I send him to another school based on him feeling comfortable around his race? He doesn't want to participate in any school activities or functions.  I don't want him to miss enjoying his high school years.

|

Transitions are difficult without feeling like you are different because of your ethnicity. Give your son some time to adapt to the new school. Encourage him to participate in activities he enjoys (at school, church or in the community).

Recognize that he is grieving for his previous school and his old friends. He may even feel angry or sad that he has to start over. He may blame others for his loss. You may consider counseling to help him make these adjustments to the change.

I tend to think that he will grow with this experience. If at the end of the school year, he continues to have difficulty, ask him if another school would be helpful.

0
0