Anonymous
Q:

My Son has ADHD and is extremely smart!

My 5 year old son started kindergarten this year and also started meds for his ADHD.  He is able to do at least 1st grade level work and most 2nd grade level! The school has tested him for the gifted class and he didn't pass cause his one answer to a certain problem was smarter then they wanted so they marked it wrong! He has recently started to 'act up' in school and when questioned on why he did it the answer is cause he's bored and doesn't want to be there cause there is nothing to do! Its a battle getting him to do his homework because he complains its too easy!!  He has a real strong desire to learn anything he can and the school refuses to let him advance.  Is there anyway I can force the school to allow him to advance? Otherwise kindergarten is nothing but a waste of time for him.  I almost don't want to even take him to school anymore as it just seems so cruel!
In Topics: My gifted child, ADHD & attention issues

|

Call a child study team meeting which is your right.  Ask the school what they can do to provide the best education for him.  Get an advocate from your community who has been through the process and partner with your teacher and administration to come to an agreeable conclusion.

1
0

icare
icare writes:
I am a special teacher and parent of special needs kids.  I agree with all the advice from the expert.  The regular ed kindergarten teacher has to provide material on the level that your son needs.  Teachers must provide educational material that meets the needs of all their students.  This is what differential instruction is all about.  Usually teachers think it means making things easier for the special needs kids they may have in one of their classes, but it also means finding ways to make things more challenging for children who are advanced.  

I would caution the solution of moving him up to first grade or letting him skip first next year.  Children need the social education they receive in the early grades, especially K - 2.  The district may find that since your son is ADHD, he can have an IEP and receive some instruction in the learning support room or have a time to take a break in the LS room.  I do this for a few autistic kids that are extremely advanced.

Good luck

0
0
cowgirl65
cowgirl65 writes:
i agree that alot of these children are very smart. spoken from a mom whose son is adhd.  have you ever considered homeschooling your son? there are so many advantages to it. something to think about.

0
0
Anonymous