lauragrant
lauragrant asks:
Q:

My son is an advanced 3 yrs. old.  What kind of preschool should I be looking for?

He is currently in a play based parent participation preschool but he doesn't seem to want to go.  He has always identified with older children and adults more than kids his age.  Also, he just started learning how to read (his idea, not mine).  Should I find a preschool that nurtures that aspect as well?  I don't want him to be bored in Kindergarten.
In Topics: Choosing a school, Preschool, Choosing a preschool

|
Vangelistria
Vangelistria writes:
I recommend that you take him to a school with mixed age class groups. It seems important for your son to mix with children who are older - but not too old- between 3-6 age bracket- so that he feels challenged and can take part in more challenging activities appropriate to his needs and see older role models, but also make friends with children his age. Have you considered looking into a Montessori school? I have also heard great things about Reggio Emilia. Montessori schools have mixed age groups. It is also important that the class is large enough with plenty of children your son's age to choose from to make friends. Structured play experiences are great with a clear educational focus, and a variety of choices. I can recommend you some sites to look at. I have my own page that you can look at with great resources too. Take care and let me know if I can help with more advice!

1
0
christiedonahey
christiedon... writes:
hi, im christie and my son is also 3 and he is excelled as well. i think u should definantly find him a program that nutures his gifts and talants. expecially reading at age 3, i would check to make sure they are encouraging and not pressuring.  thats very important with toddlers because too much pressure and they loose their confidence and start regressing.

1
0
cantering306
cantering306 writes:
I am in the same situation.  I found a private school that will test her for K4/PreK.  I'm  a little apprehensive, but think with the small class sizes (no more than 10 children) and individual attention she will thrive in this environment.   Like your son, she relates better with older children and adults.  Loves to read and is just learning how, knows all her facts.  My sister-in-law who is a Kindergarten teacher, says she know more than most of her K5 that enter her classroom.  She is going to get socialization no matter what grade level she enters and has other outside activities with other 3-4 year olds.  She is also an older 3 (late bday, Dec 05).

0
0
ginaa
ginaa , Teacher writes:
Hi Laura,

How wonderful that your son is showing so much intellectual promise so early in his life! Kudos on looking for ways to encourage and develop his potential! Some of the things you wrote about your son (preference for older or adult companions, reading readiness) are signs of giftedness. Perhaps you might want to evaluate him and find out if he is gifted. Here is a checklist for parents on signs of giftedness.

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Your_Preschooler/

The sad truth is that many gifted or borderline gifted kids are easily bored by the pace of regular classrooms. Also, many of them exhibit behavior problems that get them labeled as "problem kids." Education.com has some resources on how to deal with academic and emotional issues and nurture a gifted child.

http://www.education.com/topic/gifted-talented-children/

Most of all, keep talking to your son and encourage him to explore his interest in learning around your home. Keep us posted on his progress.

Gina

0
0
woodburymom
woodburymom writes:
I highly recommend a Montessori school. Your child will be able to learn at his own pace, focusing on materials that both challenge and interest him. I also like that the Montessori method is based on a 3 year primary cycle so your child can attend Kindergarten as well. Most kids transferring from Montessori preschool to Kindergarten are considered advanced and I hear it a lot from parents that they do get bored. Both of my children attend a Montessori preschool (LePort Schools) in Southern California and they both are thriving. Our 5 year old will attend Kindergarten there in the fall and fortunately they have an elementary program as well. Once you experience a true Montessori program that is run by passionate educators you will never go back! Good luck and hope this helps.

0
0
Anonymous