Q:

My son is ambidextrous.  He is 5 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD. Do I begin to choose a hand for him to use as his dominant?  

"He hasn't been able to write his full name and does not enjoy school. We are being told that he is not ready for kindergarten. What do I do?"

Asked by Stephanie in commenting on the article, "Tips for Teaching a Left-handed Child": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Left_...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, My child's growth and development, ADHD & attention issues

|

Stephanie:

Most children pick a dominant hand by 4 but many do not.  Let him work with both.  Your pediatrician and neurologist might be able to give some help here.  When we examine children there are parts of the exam that would show which eye and foot is dominant.  Many children have mixed dominance, but discuss it with your pediatric team.  concerning the ADD and kindergarten, you need to speak with your school.  so much of his success will depend on class size, number of other children with special needs, teacher confidence, and all day vs. half day kindergarten.

Best wishes for success.

2
0
Anonymous