cazbaz9274
cazbaz9274 asks:
Q:

Does my son have anger issues or is he just mean?

My 10 year old son has a severe anger proble, Im not quite sure if it is anger or just mean. He has had a problem in the past hurting other students at his school, but stopped for a couple of years. Now he is back to the same things and has injured 3 kids in two days. One went to er. When anyone asks him why, he just shrugs his shoulders and says "cuz i felt like it". I am desperate for some advice in handleing my son in this situation!!!! Can some one please Help

|

A ten year old can cause serious harm and these incidents should not go unpunished.  The fact that one student went to the ER should give notice to the seriousness of the situation.

Start by speaking with the school principal or guidance counselor and ask what is going on within the peer group at school.

From there ask for or seek a family/child counsellor who can help deal with impulsive anger in your son, and give you some clues as to how to respond when he shrugs off his abusive behavior to others.

Early intervention can save a child from juvenile justice, expulsion or suspension from school, or isolation from his peers.

You are on track as a parent to be concerned.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0