Mimy
Mimy asks:
Q:

How do I get my son answer question when I read a book ?

How my son 5yrs. old can understand the meaning of concepts, for example when I read to him, I ask questions about the book and he is completely lost. How is the ED.teacher supposed to help him to achieve this goal?
In Topics: Special education, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello Mimy and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I can see that you are quite frustrated with your son's comprehension of what you read to him.

If you are concerned about his learning comprehension then you may wish to meet with his teacher(s).  If he/she agrees that there are learning difficulties and his classroom performance is not within the average developmental expectations for a child his age, then the teacher may advise you to meet with the school multi-disciplinary special education team.  This team (which includes the parents) will try to determine the best course of action to help your son to comprehend during reading, etc.

In the meantime, there is a bit of a technique you can use to help your child with retention.  Have him play "teacher" by reading to YOU!  Now he may not be able to read the words in a book, so have him pretend or read what he can. Then prompt him to ask questions.  For example, if he reads you a familiar book, say to him- "You can ask me questions about what happens next and see if I remember it correctly".  This technique flips the roles for him and lets him see the learning process from a different perspective.  It may also teach him how to attend and what you are looking for with your questions.  Questions that ask WHY? are the hardest, so leave those for later when he has demonstrated improvement with easier questions.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

3
0

kakidugs
kakidugs writes:
my son used to be the same . read to him every day , asking questions after every page . be patient ,give great encouragement when he gets a question correct. good luck.

2
0
Miriam1
Miriam1 writes:
That is a great question. Early in my kids’ life I learned from a friend to introduce the book before hand, some thing like: “I’m going to read about a girl who got in trouble for not following the rules” at the age of five I sat between my kids allowing them to see the book, pictures, words, etc., then just about 3 to 4 pages I stop and made a comment and every 7 to 8 pages I asked some thing like “did you see the pretty tree, or the nice graphic?” and eventually I asked them more interesting questions for instance: “do you think the girl was in a good mood or a bad mood when she left home?”; and so on.. I hope it helps.

2
0
Anonymous