heathe
heathe asks:
Q:

My son was attacked. How do I deal with it?

My son was attacked at school by a child that has a history of attacking students. He stabbed my son 5 times with a pencil in the chest and back. The school will not give us any details about the punishment for the child including when he will be returning. Is there a way to make the school give you that information?  Any ideas of how to better protect our son from this child?

|

Thank you for contacting us for help with this issue. What a terrible experience for your child to have. Hopefully he has recovered physically from being attacked and stabbed. How is he doing emotionally? Is he scared of coming in contact with this student in the future?

To better protect your son from this student, teach him to avoid being around him when he is alone. There truly is safety in numbers so encourage him to always be with other students. Talk with him about alerting an adult or someone nearby to help if he is fearful of attack. Calling out in a loud voice and what words would be most effective to use. Teach him to turn away or even spin away from an oncoming attack to keep himself safe. Practice these with your son, to ensure his safety and make it more likely he will do this instinctively.

It may be helpful to inform his teacher, coach and school counselor that you have done this teaching to help your son stay safe in the school environment.

The school is not required to share information with you about the other child's consequences. In fact they are not able to due to privacy issues. It does sound like the other child has been expelled or suspended because of these behaviors. Have you considered pressing assault charges? From your description of the attack, this would be very appropriate. If you choose to press charges, you can feel fairly certain that consequences will be greater than just missing school.

As parents, our goal is to teach our children to keep themselves safe no matter what situations they are faced with.

Good luck with this.
Pat, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
1
1

CDG8908
CDG8908 writes:
If talking to the school principal doesn't work I would try and meet with the school board.
I do not know alot about this but since this child was harming your son, what about a restraining order?

This resource website that I found is helpful!
Hope everything gets better for you and your family

2
0
Entered
Entered writes:
How did things turn out for your son? Was there better communication with the school? Did he return and have more problems with the other student? I was shocked to read the response you got. If the school was aware of a difficult student that had a history of hurting other children then they should be liable for the incident with your son. How could a mother of a child that was assaulted tell their child to stay away from the other child for their own safety and to notify the adults in that school if your son had concerns! They were not able to protect him the first time. In today's world every child should be safe while they are at school! No child should return to school after another child has hurt them and have fear! With due respect, the response you received was not appropriate! I'm sure the physical injuries have improved, but it is the mental injuries that affect their lives everyday still.
Signed,
A mother of a bullied child.

0
0